Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wrong number...yes, I'm sure

Have you ever wanted to punch someone you didn't even know? Or that you hadn't ever even seen?

I experienced this weird phenomenon a few weeks ago when I got the wrong number phone call from hell.

When you call a wrong number, there's a protocol to be observed. Apologize, then hang up. If you want to be thorough, you can try to announce the number you were calling. While being mildly annoying, this could keep you from calling the wrong number again, so it's ultimately acceptable. This isn't hard...which makes me wonder how the woman who called me managed to screw it up with such ease.

For your reading pleasure, I give you...the wrong number from hell (or why I wish you could punch through a telephone)

Me: Hello?
Her: Yes, I'm calling for Danny.
Me: I'm sorry, you have the wrong number.
In a perfect world, I would have hung up here. Sigh.

Her: No, this is the right number. He must be there.
Me: Nope, this is my cell phone. I assure you, there is no Danny here.
Short of taking a lie detector and mailing her a sworn affidavit, I'm not sure how I can be more clear.

Her: He must have called from your phone.
Yes, I regularly loan my cell phone out to random crazies in the Library. Mainly so I can talk to awesome people like you!

Me: M'am, I'm at work. I've had my phone on my desk for the last 6 hours. No one called you from this phone.
Her: Well this is the number that showed up on my phone. I just hit redial. You called me. Where's Danny? Why are you covering for him?
What. The. F.

At this point, I chose to cut the woman off and just hang up. She's probably still stewing over my attempts to keep her from her rightful return phone call to Danny.

It's days like this that make me think I'm crazy bait.

1 comment:

TaylorTix4Jeff said...

One time I was sitting right next to Chandler and his phone rang. The caller ID said "Megan" but my phone was sitting on the coffee table, keys locked. It was so bizarre!